If sticky drops have appeared on your orchid, then first of all you need to carefully examine the plant and determine the cause of the ailment.
After all, as a rule, sticky drops can be the first sign of a disease and urgent measures need to be taken.
This article discusses the reasons for the appearance of sticky drops on orchids, provides detailed instructions for eliminating, as well as preventing the recurrence of the problem.
Why can sticky drops and white bloom appear on the leaves and when is treatment needed?
So, stickiness on the leaves can appear for the following reasons:
- Natural process. In a natural process, moisture begins to move throughout the plant and evaporates through the external organs, which are the leaves. The goo is the flower nectar of the orchid.
The drops that appear actively attract insects and pollinators, which help in the destruction of various small pests. A striking example is the appearance of ants, they are attracted by the sweet nectar of the orchid.
- Excess moisture... Improperly organized watering or humidification leads to the appearance of droplets and a sticky layer of the entire leaf. An excess of moisture in the soil is oversaturated by the plant, and it releases its evaporation from the leaves.
- Excess feed. An excess of vitamins and minerals leads the orchid to an overactive stage. Due to oversaturation with fertilizers, excess sugars are released. The flower's metabolism increases, nectar begins to be released and a sticky coating appears on the leaf plate of the plant.
In this case, the negative factor is that this can lead to damage to the leaves and the appearance of spots on them. In cases where a sticky coating appears due to an excess of fertilizer, it is recommended to change the soil in the pot.
- Infection with pests: scale insects, scale insects, aphids, ticks. It will not be difficult to detect the pest, they are noticeable on the surface of the flower with the naked eye. It is recommended to take measures to eliminate them immediately; chemical preparations or tablets should be used.
- Powdery mildew disease... In this case, a pronounced droplet appears, after which it turns into the formation of a white bloom over the entire surface of the leaf plate, a spot of dark and gray color often appears.
In these cases, more attention should be paid to the plant, and provide favorable conditions and proper care.
Read more about why sticky drops appear on the orchid, whether it is dangerous for the plant and what to do, read here.
If, when examining the flower, you did not find any deviations and pests, then this is a natural process of saping.
What if the cause of the problem is not disease and pests?
First of all, it is recommended to inspect the orchid, and make sure that the dew is not caused by parasites and diseases. If diseases and parasites were not detected, then the flower should be processed in the following way:
- When forming nectar... Remove the sticky surface with a moistened cotton pad. Wipe the leaves thoroughly and remove the sticky surface. It is also recommended to reduce the number of water treatments.
- Overflowing. If the plant has sticky leaves, spots have formed, the top layer of the soil in the pot should be dried, ensure good drainage.
- Oversupply of fertilizer. The best way to get rid of this ailment is to change the soil in the pot to prevent the death and rotting of the peduncle.
How to treat and how to treat a flower affected by pests and diseases?
If you find a sticky surface of a leaf plate, then you need to carefully examine the plant for pests and diseases. Be sure to check the condition of the soil. It is not recommended to fill the flower with water, this can lead to the appearance of parasites and various kinds of diseases.
Subject to all the rules for care, the problem should disappear, if this did not happen, then the reason is the infection of the flower with pests or disease. To eliminate this ailment, it is recommended to use specialized means to cure the orchid, destroy the tick or scale insect.
First, you should use folk methods:
- Reduce the number of water procedures in the cold season.
- It is recommended to monitor the level of humidity, spray around the pot once a day.
- Rubbing the leaves with soapy water.
These methods help to get rid of stickiness and eliminate unwanted symptoms.
If the folk method did not have the desired effect, you should resort to stronger measures, that is, use chemicals:
- Change the method of irrigation to soaking in a basin with the addition of no more than two tablets to the water "Alerina-B".
- In cases where a scale insect is found, it is necessary to wash the ground parts of the flower with soapy water, then spray it with an inosicide solution.
- If a mealybug was seen on a flower, it is recommended to pour it with warm water, then treat it with a preparation that contains oils.
- In case of damage by a tick and a worm, removing diseased leaves, transplanting, cutting off the top will help.
- Spraying with horsetail tincture, soap solution with a small amount of medical alcohol, garlic infusion with oil will also help for treatment with pests.
- For spraying and treating plants from pests, such preparations as Fozalon, Phosphamide, Nurell-D are suitable.
To prevent orchid disease, you must:
- closely monitor the temperature regime;
- pay more attention to air humidification, watering;
- do not put the pot on a lighted windowsill in the summer, neglect the rules of care and feeding.
What to do so that the leaves are not covered with bloom and droplets?
Sticky plaque on the leaf plate requires special attention and study of the cause. During the natural process, damage to the plant is minimized. In other cases, you should find out the exact reason.
It is recommended to regularly inspect the plant, and if the cause is identified, immediately start treating the flower. For preventive treatment, the following drugs have a good effect:
These products will prevent the appearance of parasites and insects.
As we have already figured out, sticky drops can be a natural process that will not cause any harm to the plant, or a disease. The main thing is to find out the reason for their appearance in a timely manner and urgently take action. In order to prevent such a phenomenon, carefully examine the orchid, provide proper care, and then your beauty will be healthy.